Wednesday 24 February 2010

Done & Dusted

Well, as talked about in my last blog entry I went to my GP's today regarding the dreaded blood tests. To say I was a bit nervous was a bit of an understatement really, but I knew I had to go in there with an open mind. I wasn't waiting long when I was called in. I began to tell the Dr about what had happened, right from when I had tried to get the bloods done at his surgery last week.

As ever he sat and listened to me, like he always does - like I said in my last blog I feel I can really talk to my GP about anything and not feel uncomfortable or embarrassed and I can say what I really think or how I'm really feeling without him judging me. As I was telling him what had happened, I almost got upset but managed to hold it together and his reaction... well let's just say he wasn't impressed.

He advised that I make a complaint about Monday's 'episode' and he was quite disgusted at the way I'd been treated. In his own words he even said "We all have off days, bad days, but we most definitely shouldn't bring it into work with us, especially where patients are involved. We should most definitely not take it out on our patients". He totally knew and understood where I was coming from, because he gave me the chance to explain things fully. He then said he'd try to get some bloods, which I didn't mind. I showed him the arm that the nurse tried last week, where the bruise was and where the nurse on monday tried to get bloods from even though it was VERY painful for me but she wasn't listening grrr... - I said to him "this is where the nurse tried to get the blood last week but couldn't and it left a bruise" and before I even said anything else about how the nurse at the hospital treated me as regards that he said "I'm not going to even attempt to get it where there's a bruise". I then went on to tell him how the nurse at the hospital was with me as regards that arm and he just kept shaking his head, he couldn't believe it.

Anyway, he tried the other arm, I just closed my eyes, turned away chatted at about a million miles an hour about nothing so to take my mind off it and in the needle went. Although the blood was a bit slow at first it was soon over within just a few minutes. I was completely fine. Now whether it was because I knew my Dr and he was fully aware of my condition, and I just felt relaxed with him I don't know. But I tell you what, I certainly felt more relaxed and was really quite chirpy afterwards :-) I was quite proud of myself if I can say that lol

He gave me contact details of who to complain to, and he has told me that if for whatever reason I need to get bloods done again I should request the he does them and he'd be happy to do them for me, which is reassuring :-) He even apologied and I told him not to as it wasn't his fault. I said I didn't really want to get anyone into any trouble but he told me by complaining about the nurse I wouldn't be, it's not my fault and that she needs to be told about her behaviour and attitude.

All I can say is... thank God that's over with. I get the results next week... will keep you posted ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment