Friday 19 February 2010

Mission Impossible

Went to the doctors on Tuesday for blood test and stuff. Yet again, as per the nurses couldn’t get any bloods. I knew as soon as my GP mentioned about getting bloods done that it’d be nigh on impossible but I, as ever said I’d give it a go.

Let me explain. All my life it’s been extremely difficult whenever I’ve had to have blood tests because of my skin. I used to see a dermatologist once every 6 months in Cardiff, (from the age of 3 yrs to about 17 yrs old) and every time I went I had to have routine bloods taken. I absolutely hated it. Not just because I had a fear of needles but because they usually had to try more than once to get anything out of me.

I can’t have them taken from my inner elbow/arm because my skin is too thick there, and generally the doctors or nurses taking the blood won’t take it from there anyway because of my skin. So whenver they (the docs) try they tend to try and get it from my forearms or back of my hands.

When I was pregnant it’s routine to have bloods done and once again they had great difficulty in getting anything from me. The worst one was when I had to have a glucose test for gestational diabetes. They tried five times in different parts of my arms and hands. I just kept telling them to try though as I needed to get it done - for both myself and my baby. It was as if my veins were like taps, they’d get a little tiny bit then it’d just stop. It doesn’t help when the docs/nurses are telling you to relax, which in my case just makes me tense up even more as I’m trying too hard to relax lol. But yeah, it’s not a pleasant thing at the best of times for anyone I know that, but needs must.

On Tuesday I was having the bloods done so the doc could give me a general check, as I’ve been a bit run down lately (and have lost weight eeek! Not good especially for me - those of you who know me well will know how much I love my food). Been getting headaches, feeling dizzy and lightheaded, off my food etc. They tried 3 times to get bloods on Tuesday but no joy... Actually I tell a lie, they managed to get enough for a full blood count which was one lot, but they needed three different lots.

So, I had to make an appointment to get them done again at the hospital’s pathology dept. I had to be referred there a few times while I was pregnant as everyone who tried in neonatal etc had real problems getting anything. It wasn't their fault though, just one of those things - comes with the territory with Ichthyosis I think lol - Thankfully, in the pathology dept. they managed to get something more or less first time. So I’m hoping on Monday, when I go again that it’ll be ok. The person I spoke to on the phone when I was making my appointment was lovely though and reassured me that they’ll do all they can to make me as comfortable as possible. Just have to keep telling myself, if I managed a c-section I can manage anything hehehe.

When making my appointment for Monday, I again had to explain everything the problems I have and about my condition so they understood my circumstances better. I have to laugh though, because whenever I go to have bloods done, I always say to whoever is taking them (trying to) I hope you like a challenge. I'm still a bit bruised from Tuesdays attempts but not too bad, I’ve had worse put it that way.

Had a rough night last night though, up all night feeling sick and really bad stomach. Plus a large-ish blister appeared on my leg just below my knee. Have had a few small ones over the last few days. Why is it the smallest ones that seem to hurt and sting the most?? Oh well..... Just one look at my little boy and seeing his beautiful smile makes it all disappear :-)

I’m feeling a bit better today though I must say, just want to get Monday over with now.... Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment